Sunday, January 21, 2007

Fighting in the Family?

There is much going on regarding in-fighting with the Dems in the State House. This really bothers me as someone who has worked to get more Democrats in office. The new members worked hard to get there and will need to work even harder to stay. We must look at the big picture. Look at all that the Dems in the nations capitol achieved in 100 hours- they were able to do that because they were in a leadership role, we must get there at the state capitol too! In 100 hours they passed raising the minimum wage, stem cell research, allowing Medicare to negotiate medication drug costs, college loans, and the list goes on- I know in order for the bills to become law we still need the Senate and pray the guy in the WH doesn't veto, but it is still achievement. It is my hope that the Dems in Arizona put their bitter feelings aside and work to make life better for Arizona- but I do know this can be very difficult. I received this email from the newly elected State Representative Lena Saradnik...it made me so proud as she was removed from a committee and still put her personal feelings aside and put her constituents first.

Lena is amazing!
*****************************************

Lena¹s Legislative Lines
January 12, 2007

This is my first report to you as your State Representative. I plan to
report to you regularly on the activities in the State Legislature

First Week
Monday¹s swearing in was the highlight of the week. Our daughter, Tracy,
flew in from Cambridge, MA. She and Stephen sat behind me as I took the oath
of office administered by Justice Sandra Day O¹Connor. Cheryl Cage, my
campaign manager sat in the Gallery. Several supporters and friends were
watching in the hearing rooms. It was a very emotional moment for all of us.

The House Freshmen Class
We have a wonderful group of newly elected Democrats and (we think) some
forward thinking Republicans in the 48th Arizona Legislative Session. My
first impression is that the energy and commitment they project epitomize
our collective ideal of elected representatives. Together, we are building
strong bonds to craft quality legislation to benefit all Arizonians.

Committees
My first committee hearings were all very interesting; at no time was I
bored. Many fascinating topics were discussed and valuable information was
presented. Needless to say, we have many challenges ahead of us. I will keep
you posted on how you can help.

At the beginning of the week, I was on the following committees:

Education
Government
Public Institutions and Retirement

During Thursday¹s floor session, the Speaker announced that I was off
Education and on Healthcare. Other members of our Freshmen Class were
affected as well.
No worries. One of my core beliefs is ³to bloom where one is planted² and I
plan to blossom profusely as a member of the Health Committee.

My Bills
It was not my intention to come out of the gate with a fist full of bills to
introduce. I am taking my time to learn where to put my energies first.
***********************************
Lena may be a Freshman but I think we can all learn something from her!

No comments: