Monday, June 9, 2008

I was there- did you see me?

When Hillary announce that she was suspending her campaign on a Saturday so her supporters would be able to be there I was thrilled. As always she was thinking about her supporters and wanted to make sure we were included. I went on my US Airways account and yep, I had enough miles to garner a free ticket. I didn't want to miss this historic event. This last year was about History and I wanted to be there every step of the way and I was. When Hillary decided to run for POTUS I was excited but I needed a little more than she was a woman running. Sure I spend a lot of my time helping women get elected, I help men too, but my passion is women.

About a year ago I went to the Emily's List Majority Council meeting where I heard Hillary speak for over an hour on multiple issues. She took questions and WOW was she smart. She could take the most complex issue and share what she would do to fix it in great detail. It was from that week that I realized that if ever we had a chance to shatter the glass ceiling Hillary was the person to do it. I went on the journey with her. I raised money and I organized people to supporter her and get involved. I went to Iowa, Nevada, Texas, Pennsylvania and of course helped win Arizona despite some major endorsements.

The media complained since Feb. 5th for her to drop our. She kept going and kept her eye on the prize. The reality was, he couldn't win unless she dropped out and she couldn't win unless he dropped out. The democratic nomination would be decided by the Super Delegates. It is what it is. This is my new saying.
I have been there since the very beginning so when Hillary was going to bow out I wanted to be there to feel the magic. Magic it was. I was lucky enough to be a VIP so I didn't have to wait in line and I could be in the very front. I am a Hillary delegate so I do get special treatment and I think I earned it so I will take it. The room was packed and it was diverse, age, race, gender, etc. She was late as she is known to be. While we were waiting my mom called. "Are you in DC?" "Yes I am." I am looking at you on CNN! I started to get emails, I see you on TV. Yep, it was me I had a front row seat as history unfolded. Hillary came out and she took control of the room. She was amazing and she made us all proud. Her words were magic and very sincere.

When the event was over people spilled out and there were reporters everywhere. What concerned me the most was all the supporters who are still so hurt with their dream gone. They were telling supporters that no way would they EVER support Obama- we have problems. What makes it so hard for people to move on is the Super Delegates decided this outcome. One can argue about MI and FL if those delegates should count or not. What happens in a narrow election is it shines a spotlight on a flawed system in electing the POTUS. I am most disappointed with Chairman Dean and his lack of leadership in making sure there was a solution before we came to crisis mode. Florida is a mess and we will loose it in November. Because this is a tie it will take time to heal the wounds. In Florida the Republicans gave it to us once again and decided to break the rules and screw the Democrats. The average voter just went to vote not knowing about a delegate, or a super delegate. It is what it is. The Supreme court decided the outcome in 2000 and the Super Delegates decided the outcome of the Democratic Primary. It is what it is. But one thing for sure it is a historic election and I was front and center for it.

No comments: